Graham had a bone marrow biopsy this a.m. to help his Hematologist Dr. Woods- Swafford determine exactly what is going on. My mom went with G and I to the procedure, he had to fast and he did so well with all of it. He's seriously been through so much in his little life, but just troops along. He held out his arm willingly for the IV and instead of crying (like most children and even adults!) he just grit his teeth, and waited for them to get it in. He is so brave. Mom and I got to go with him while they sedated him, and the procedure was quick. They also got us the results very quickly.
So the basic reason they did the test was to determine if he had a neutrophil PRODUCTION or DESTRUCTION problem. And the answer -- as Dr. Woods already called me-- is a DESTRUCTION problem. So his body makes neutrophils (the cells that fight infection) but he also produces and antibody that destroys them. SO there isn't a great fix, unfortunately. There are drugs to increase production -- but since he makes the antibody that destroys them --it isn't going to do much good.
Dr. Woods sent us home with a letter that gives instructions to any doctor ever treating G when he has a fever, etc. Because a common cold can become very dangerous for G. We have to continue to work very very hard to help him avoid illness. Seriously, what is just a little sickness for a normal kid can and most likely will become much greater for him. And when he is sick -- we now have guidelines to follow, including when to give him shots of antibiotics, when to admit him, etc. Isn't going to do much to cure my germaphobeism (is that word?) because frankly - we have to be that way. But it is a solution, and it does FINALLY answer why our little man has so much trouble.
Positives....first he will eventually outgrow it, she believes. By age 5-7 hopefully. Next, they don't think it's genetic - as in IF Graham gets a sibling he or she will not likely have it. And last....by the Grace of God I have a job where I can be home with Graham. He doesn't have to go to daycare and be exposed to everything under the sun. He gets to stay right here, in his own home, with just me taking care of him. Some days, when he's been sick all week -- I am frazzled, stressed and tired. But I wouldn't change it for the world. I was MADE to be Graham's mom. I can't imagine what I did before him.....God knew how much love G would need and He knew that we wanted to give him that love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment