Friday, March 18, 2011

Thankful for Healing

What a whirlwind the past week has been. So, shortly after Grace came home from the hospital- Graham got into one of his sick funks. He got a sinus infection which led to a pnemonia/bronchitis/croupy type crud- that he just couldn't shake. His neutrophils were low, he was having a hard time. After several days of me trying to keep him away from Grace, which was hard because he felt awful and wanted held, he gave it to Grace. She started with a head cold. I had him in the doctor several times, and eventually took her because she was vomitting, fussy and not eating. Turned out last Friday, they started her on antibiotics for an ear infection. Then by Saturday, she was just miserable. And spiked a temp. Protocol for a newborn with a temp is to take them straight to the ER. I loaded her in the car as soon as she had the temp, and in the 10 minutes it took me to get to Blank- she had deteoriorated so much that I had to shake her in the carseat to be sure she was breathing. My mom met me there. Grace was one SICK SICK little girl by the time we got her on the table. They do NOT mess around with a newborn with a fever. They had her in with a doctor in a matter of minutes and a few minutes later - they had blood drawn, a lumbar puncture done (huge needle in her spine), and her nose swabbed for flu and RSV. Turned out that she had RSV. Grace was admitted to the hospital Saturday and she and I stayed till Tuesday. Poor baby was on Oxygen, IV fluids and IV antibiotics.

My mom and Josh took turns with Graham. I do not know what we would do without my mom. She was here or with Grace and I in the hospital every minute. She knows so much in the hospital that I loved having her there.

Grace is slowly recovering at home. She still has a bronchitis type cough, which the dr. says she will probably have for 4-6 weeks. UGH. And Graham is 99% better, he only coughs occassionally. He trooped through with Mom and Josh- and he's turned into a well-adjusted, happy kid. Since Grace was born, his world of spending all day every day with his mommy has been upside down. But he's done so well to keep on keeping on with whoever is here to watch him for the day. In the mornings when he wakes up, he says "Hello Daddy?" "Hello Mommy?" "Hello Baa (Baa is Grandma)?" Poor guy doesn't know who the heck is taking care of him! When we came home I picked him up and hugged him, he kissed me and both of us got kinda' teary eyed. He asked if we had to leave again. I think he thinks Grace comes home from the h0spital a few days and then goes back! I hope we aren't back anytime soon.

We have had some very scary illnesses with Graham over the past couple years, but this was FAR and AWAY the most awful illness and the most scared I have ever been. I am so thankful for that mommy instinct that everyone tells you that you have, but you aren't really sure if you do or not. Turns out, I have that when I need it. I am so glad we got there when we did. AND I am more than thankful to the amazing dr's and nurses at Blank, I felt very well cared for the entire time. MOST OF ALL- I'm thankful to God for healing my baby and letting us bring her home from the hospital a second time. Praying she keeps on healing and we don't have to get that sick ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment